Find your next rated tradesperson
Find a Tenant The Business Pages for Property Investment Current and archived property articles Join in our Property Investment and Landlords Forum and have your say! return to my property power team home page Services for Landlords Buy to Let mortgages and legals Find your next investment Prosper with Property Education Property Investment networking opportunities
Information > Energy Performance Certificate Providers
Pangaea House, Dean Road
Manchester, M44 5AJ
CLICK HERE For the EPC Provider full Directory Listing

Energy Performance Certificate

EPC: abbv. Energy Performance Certificate, a required aspect of a Home Information Pack
HIP: abbv. Home Information Pack

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make a house more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Do All Home Bought, Sold or Rented Require an EPC?

EPCs contain information on energy use and carbon dioxide emissions with a recommendation report containing suggestions to reduce energy use (eg. fitting loft insulation and the possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made).

Around 27% of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions come from domestic homes

The report recommendations do not have to be acted upon, however, if you decide to do so, it could make the property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential figures that a house could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving measures were put in place.

The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of your home using a grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’. An ‘A’ rating is the most efficient, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is 'D'. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

An EPC also contains detailed estimates of potential energy use, carbon dioxide emissions and fuel costs, details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment and who to contact if you want to make a complaint.

New homes sold 'off-plan' will need to include a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA). The PEA should be replaced by an EPC when construction of the property is complete.


What does an EPC looks like?

Information about energy efficiency and carbon emissions is summarised in two charts that show the energy and carbon dioxide emission ratings. The charts look similar to those supplied on electrical appliances, like fridges and washing machines.



Please note - HiPs have been suspended until further notice and are not required at present

A Home Information Pack (HIP) is made up of a set of documents that are required (compulsory) and authorised (optional).

The HIP must include an index, a sale statement, evidence of title, an Energy Performance Certificate, and standard searches. Since 6th April 2009, it also needs a Property Information Questionnaire. A copy of the lease and commonhold documents must also be included, where appropriate.

If a document that must be included in the HIP is unavailable, the Index must say so, giving the reason it is missing, and what steps are being taken to get it. The Index should be updated whenever documents are added or removed.

The sale statement provides some basic information about the property, including: the address, whether the property is freehold, leasehold or commonhold, whether the property is registered or unregistered, whether the property is being sold with vacant possession or tenanted, in what capacity the seller is selling the property (eg owner or selling on behalf of a deceased owner).

If the property is registered, certain documents available rom the Land Registry must be included; official copies of the individual register (made up of a property register, proprietorship register and, typically, a charges register) and an official copy of the title plan.

The searches consist of the local land charges register for the property being sold, a search of the records held by the local authority on matters of interest to buyers including; planning decisions and road building proposals and details of the provision of drainage and water services to the property. These searches are carried out by a local council or personal search company and they will issue an official search certificate.

A copy of the lease is the only additional required document in a HIP for the sale of a leasehold property.



Bookmark and Share


Get Insurance quotes at

Free Report - No Money Down Property Investment Strategy
The best BTL insurance.  Simple
Advertise Here!
© 2020 My Property Power Team | privacy policy | terms & conditions | contact us | advertise |